About Me

My photo
Edmonds, Washington, United States
I am running for Edmonds City Council, Position #1. This blog is about my adventures in doorbelling and other random thoughts.

Friday, October 16, 2009

Ballot Drop Day

Today has been a day of reflection for me. I started this ride back in February with the support of my family and good friend DJ Wilson. And, what a ride it has been.

I want to start by thanking my entire family for all the help and encouragement they have given me. My husband, Todd, has lived with me for over 20 years. He has always encouraged me in any endeavor (expect maybe singing professionally) I wanted to undertake: from going to law school to working at legal services to running for City Council. Thank you Todd. I cannot even imagine life without you.

Next I want to thank my elder son, Pascal, who will be 14 on Sunday. Pascal always made me laugh with some hare-brained scheme he came up with. We didn't execute any but, it was fun to fantasize with him. He's at the Edmonds Woodway High School Homecoming game as I write this. Happy birthday my big boy.

Thank you to my parents, my in-laws, and my brother who have supported me and donated a great deal of money. All those donations that came in from the Southwest and California were from my family. There really is no scheme by outsiders to gain political power by donating to my campaign. (whose paranoid delusion was THAT?)

I want to thank DJ Wilson who knew when to ignore me and when to give me a pep talk. There were times he told me I was being crazy and irrational and then ignored me for weeks on end. Turns out, that was the right way to handle it. Who knew?

Thank you Max Brown and the Snohomish County Young Democrats who have doorbelled for me. I am proud to know you are the future of our Country. Most importantly, Max and company helped us pick out the official pizza of the campaign -- JalapeƱo and Pepperoni.

Finally, I want to thank all the friends I made along the way. Richard and Karen Martinson, you have become friends for life. Todd and I were discussing something regarding the campaign today and thought of Richard to help us. He sent me an email with the same thought not seconds later. Great minds think alike.

And Bob and Janice Freeman, who shared with me their vision of the Edmonds of the future. By keeping this vision of the future in mind, our decisions of today take on a greater significance.

Anne Kutay, whose outlook is inspiring. She can do everything and anything. Tung Bui who was harassed by my opponent, but stood his ground with pride. Pat Brier, who is a great artist and a great friend. Manya Vee, who was the first person I told about my candidacy and who has supported me throughout. Maralyn Chase who was always there to give me practical advice. And, there are so many more.

I am proud to call you all friends and neighbors.

So, this afternoon, I put on my raincoat, grabbed a sign, and got a great recharge of inspiration at Five Corners. Hundreds of smiles and waves, some happy honks, and only one thumbs-down. But hey, there's always one.

And did I happen to remind everyone to mail in your ballots?

Until tomorrow my friends.

Priya

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful of you to get out in the rain! Nice work, Priya. You probably picked up 40 votes doing that tonight, and in what will be a very close race, every vote counts.

    DJ

    ReplyDelete